|Giampaolo Bella, Ph.D. (Cambridge)
Associate Professor (with Italian MIUR habilitation as Full Professor)
Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
Università di Catania
Viale A.Doria, 6
I-95125 Catania, ITALY
giamp a t dmi.unict.it
personal A.FB. (Ante-FaceBook)
My main research interests lie in the area of formal specification and verification of critical real-world systems such as security protocols and policies. I'm particularly thrilled by the human aspects of digital security and by how technology shapes up people's attitude towards their online privacy.
My research papers culminate with my book, published with Springer and shown above.
I incepted and lead nas.inf the research group in networks and security at my Department.
- Computer-assisted verification for safety properties of genetic
networks underlying liver regeneration. Position: Principal Investigator of Italian part for year 2008. Sponsor: British Council.
- Automatic Validation of Security and Trust of Service Oriented Architectures. Position: Workpackage Leader under the auspices of SAP Research France for year 2008. Sponsor: EU FP7 Programme.
- Ricerca e Sviluppo di un Originale Prototto SW EasyWM
Destinato alla Logistica Estesa. Position: Leader of Security Workpackage from March 2004 to Feb 2007. Sponsor: MIUR.
- Verifying Electronic Commerce Protocols. Position: Research Associate from Oct 2000 to Sept 2003. Sponsor: EPSRC.
- Authentication Logics: New Theory and Implementations. Position: Research Assistant from Oct 1996 to June 1999. Sponsor: EPSRC.
- FB-DMI'15: the 1st Facebook DMI event, where Facebook meets in person our Department
- STAST: the International Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust, which I conceived in 2010 and co-organise ever since
- ACM SAC: my Security Track at the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, which I started in 2002
- WSF: my Workshop on Security Frameworks is getting bigger
- I am and have been serving as a Program Committee member for various conferences
- Capture The Flag: an event of this type takes place locally every year since 2014 to attract ethical hacking enthusiasts
- Hardening: another local event centred around the security of modern Operating Systems takes place since 2015
I currently teach two courses in Computer Security, one at undergraduate and one at postgraduate level. I also teach various courses in Foundations of Computer Science. I gave up previous courses in Advanced Programming and in Computer Architecures.